Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Horrifying thought for the day

Alan Moore on infinity:
Confused? Moore puts it this way. "If you think about a standard journey in three dimensions -- say, being in a car driving along a road, the houses you're passing are vanishing behind you, but you don't doubt that if you could reverse the car, the houses would still be there. Our consciousness is only moving one way through time but I believe physics tells us all those moments are still there -- and when we get to the end of our lives, there's nowhere for our consciousness to go, except back to the beginning. We have our lives over and over again."
Well, there was this roast salmon with onion sauce that I ate while visiting Vancouver Island in the mid 1990s...yeah, I definitely want to have that meal again. And then there was the 50-hour science fiction film marathon at Filmex 1975...Ray Bradbury was there, Robbie the Robot was there, all the coolest people in Los Angeles were there, and we saw vivid original stereophonic prints of Forbidden Planet and War of the Worlds, and 2001 in 70mm. That was a lot of fun. Other than that, Alan Moore's theory is the most horrifying idea anyone ever conceived, because he's basically saying that Hell is real. I hope he's wrong.

2 comments:

Monster from the Id said...

Mr. Moore takes the "mystic" implications of quantum physics rather more seriously than I do. *rolls eyes*

The exotic speculations of modern QP tend to remind me of Orwell's quip that some ideas were so stupid only intellectuals could believe them.

Joseph Cannon said...

Are you saying that I DON'T have to relive all those fights with my exes? And there was this creepy schizy guy I'll call "D" who still gives me the heebie-jeebies every time I think of him. Are you saying I don't have to relive the supremely infuriating times he intruded into my life? Are you saying I don't have to relive all those blundering wrong turns and stupid decisions I made in the 1989-1996 period? All those awful people I let into my life -- I don't have to meet 'em ever again?

Please go ON, Monster from the Id!

(By the way, I take it that you must be a Forbidden Planet fan yourself. Did I ever tell you about the time I met the guy who wrote the original story...?)