Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Film note

I don't know whether I've mentioned this before, but the most entertaining nun movie of all time -- by far -- has got to be Girls Town. Just a few minutes ago, I finished what must be my ninth or tenth viewing, and lemme tell ya: It just keeps getting better.

The scene where Paul Anka sings Ave Maria to Mamie Van Doren is one of the few truly transcendental moments in American cinema. It's a lot like the final episode of Twin Peaks, except Paul Anka sings Ave Maria to Mamie Van Doren. (Believe it or not, David Lynch is in this movie. He sings. I'm not kidding.)

Mamie is actually very good in this film. There. I said it, and I won't take it back. Let's face it: Any woman with a figure like that is never going to get credit for a good line reading.

Yeah, I know: This is supposed to be a political blog. But right now, the news is filled with war and more war and still more war and Marco Rubio, and I just don't want that crap in my head. Not after I've worked for, like, fifteen straight hours.  Besides, Mamie is political. She spurned the advances of both Henry Kissinger and Spiro Agnew, so I figure that she has done more for the cause of peace and justice than most people can claim. 

3 comments:

OTE admin said...

Don't forget Mel Torme and "baby chick" Elinor Donahue feeling like fish out of water.

Mamie was a real hoot in that film. I used to have it on VHS and saw it many times.

maz said...

Um, not that David Lynch...

Trojan Joe said...

Mamie is very active on Facebook (where she posts a lot of her cheesecake photos, both old and new). She links to oddball stuff from all over the political spectrum, but I surmise she leans forward. So to speak.