Tuesday, August 15, 2017

Glad you said it, Richard Spencer

I don't often agree with Richard Spencer, but...well, when yer right, yer right. (In this case, ultra-right.)
Alt-right leader Richard Spencer told reporters from his "office" on Monday that he doesn’t think President Donald Trump condemned his movement when he denounced neo-Nazis, the Ku Klux Klan, and white supremacists.

"His statement today was more kumbaya nonsense," said Spencer, who attended and was slated to speak at the white nationalist "Unite the Right" rally in Charlottesville, Virginia, on Saturday. "Only a dumb person would take those lines seriously."
I wasn't among the dumb (as the preceding post demonstrated). Were you?

Was anyone?

Added note: A long time ago, I wrote a piece which confused Richard Spencer with Robert Spencer, the author of Did Muhammed Exist? (a book I enjoyed, even though I didn't agree with its main thesis). Apparently, the error is a common one. I apologize for the misapprehension; although Robert Spencer is an oddball, he's a different kind of oddball. We should note that the Shoebat.com website accuses Robert Spencer of...well, here's the exact wording:
Major Evidence Reveals That Robert Spencer Is Working With Genocidal Satanist Nazi Cult That Plans To Eradicate All Christians In Concentration Camps
I don't think that this is true. I also think that Muhammed was a real person, although I strongly doubt that he chatted with the angel Gabriel. To the best of my knowledge, this opinion is shared by nearly every objective academic.

What mad times we live in! Robert Spencer, Richard Spencer, Alex Jones, Milo Yiannopoulos, Steve Bannon, Jack Posobiec, Mike Cernovich... Can you believe that these creatures are taken seriously? That journalists are forced to learn their names and summarize their views? That they've impacted the thinking of the goddamned president and his entourage?

I'm old enough to recall when someone like John Judge was considered wacky.

1 comment:

JSL said...

@Joe Cannon,

I hope you'll consider this post to be in accordance with your "stay close to topic" rule. VICE just put out an excellent documentary (about 1 hour 10 minutes long) called 'A House Divided'. It's an attempt to explore how we got where we are today. I think you and everyone else will enjoy it. See it at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdVl3WvgJ50

Jay